"With bats in the attic and frost on the sill," goes the song from the musical, "Shenandoah." Well, last night we got to sing our own bat song.
Michelle came upstairs and said, "Mom, we have a mouse downstairs in the ceiling." We thought that was somewhat unusual because we have a cat and she is a very good mouser. She has kept us mouse free for several years (except for the ones she brings into the house to torture.) Being the chickens that we are, neither Amy, Michelle, or I wanted to go downstairs to check out the merchandise. Logan was talking to Jillian but he handed the phone to me and said he would be the brave one and go check things out. You can imagine our surprise when he said it was a frog, "Oh no, it's a BAT." Images of vampires and rabies ran through our chicken brains but Amy and I gradually worked our way downstairs to see the evidence. We tentatively stuck our heads in the door and as Logan was talking to us, all of a sudden the bat appeared on the ceiling tile which made Amy jump and because Logan was watching Amy he jumped and because I was watching Logan I jumped . The darn thing wasn't even flying in the ceiling, he was running. What a domino effect that was. Amy was talking to Tyler on the cell phone while all of this was going on so he had his belly laugh for the day.
OK, now how and who is going to get that little rabid varmint out of there. We know. DAD!!!! (Who was sleeping peacefully by this time.) He was a little annoyed when we woke him up to tell him of our intruder. This is the man who I woke up one time and said, "Duane, I hear something downstairs." His reply, "Well, go see what it is." Anyway, he went downstairs to check out the bat story and being the hunk of a man that he is, he took the tile out of the ceiling, opened the window, and said, "Call me in the morning," not even curious enough to stick around and see our little friend. Of course, we chickens weren't about to stay around to see what happened--all but Logan that is. Amy, Michelle, and I couldn't get upstairs fast enough. Logan kept watch through a crack in the door and saw the bat start flying around the room. Now keep in mind that Ellie, our cat, is casually sitting and watching this whole episode. Oh to have the nerve of a cat. Logan said she tried to grab it a couple of times but the bat was faster. Logan was able to catch the flight on video but you have to look real close to see it. Boy those little creatures are fast! Unfortunately, he never really saw it fly out the window thus reassuring Amy, Michelle, and I that we would not be spending any time downstairs for the next several days. I did feel somewhat assured when Ellie came prancing upstairs. I knew she wouldn't leave if there was still action going on. However, Logan was our knight in shinning armor because he put himself on the line and spent the night in the bat den. Jill, you said you were the brave one. Just in case that bat got some of Logan's blood, I hope you like vampires.
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Too Funny!!!!!!
Love that post and the video even gave me the willies!!
I don't know if this is the story that I am supposed to like or not like, but I think you got both emotions from me....Man, am I so GLAD that starting LG's practice is a great excuse to NOT come and visit...AH...I think I just developed a new rodent to FEAR....It's like a mouse with wings. YUCK!
We have a little cabin in Island Park and bats flourish there. We tried hanging moth balls where they like to perch and it seems to work. They are unreal. They are like out of a fantasy horror movie. They are suppost to eat insects. I would love to see you when you come out this summer. We have a big empty house and Logan is beautiful. But I will meet you anywhere it is conventient. Just let me know when and where.
We used to sit outside by the pool in CA and watch the bats fly around the palm trees. They would swoop down and drink from the pool. They really won't fly at you or try to attack. That is just Hollywood hype for scary movies. They are quite interesting creatures to watch at night. They do eat insects, the pesky ones that fly around lights, as well as mosquitoes! I don't know why we are all scared of them. I have always had a fascination for vampires...
Post a Comment