Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Which is the Real Castle


On our trip out west this summer, we drove by the LDS Temple that is being built in Draper, Utah. There were some beautiful, BIG homes in the area as well. As we visited with a friend of ours who lives in the area, I asked her if she had seen the "castle" that was being built by the temple. She was aware of it but had not seen it. She was aware of the other homes, however. In our discussion with her we decided that although the homes are beautiful we wouldn't want to live in any of them. For one thing, who wants to do all the cleaning. After paying for a house like that there wouldn't be any money left over to hire someone to do it. But I have also decided that there are so many other good things to do with money than invest it in an over grown house. Our friend mentioned she had heard that President Hinckley said he hoped none of our members lived in those homes. Perhaps it is easy for me to believe that since I live in a modest, comfortable home. But if I did have the money for such a place, I hope that I would do as the following scripture.
"But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good-to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted." (Jacob 2:18-19)

7 comments:

The Dreamer said...

Very thought provoking post! There are many things in this world today that I don't like and that I feel powerless to change. There is one thing though that I think about quite often...and dream about it as well. It is the Homeless people. It is not enough to provide donations of food and clothing for these people...they need to be educated...enough atleast to help them get on their feet and off the street. They need a chance...a person that will help them get a job...an advocate for them. I understand that many homeless are on drugs or mentally handicapped and this makes for a difficult situation. Ramble ramble ramble....I guess I need to study up on it and stop thinking about it and DO something! Thanks for the post!!

LnKay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is a timely post...something I have been pondering about a lot lately.

I will pray harder to never have the desire to EVER live in a house THAT nice.

Really, who would want to live in a house that is bigger than the house of God?

Grammy said...

Yeah, those "mansions" are really something. I have always called them "BOok of Mormon houses" referring to that scripture you have posted.

TLC said...

Sister Gold, It's Tierra from Bristol! I just found your blog through Leah! I love it when I find new people to add. Here's the address to mine--I'm already adding you : )


http://tierralynne22.blogspot.com


AS for this post I agree that the "castle" is pretty but I'm more thankful to be able to go inside the other "castle" the temple. And I'm thankful for my modest home too!

Janet said...

When a wealthy man died someone asked, "How much did he leave?" The answer was, "All of it". We need to remember that life is so short and if we spend it accumulating things we will have wasted our time. From one who has see death knocking on the door, we need to focus on the things we really do take with us.

jordan said...

I read when Pres Hinckley was in Houston, Tx and he said that he hoped members of the church didn't live in houses like that. I suppose that I should be more grateful for my little double-wide in all it's "personality."