Idol worshiping. I'm trying to figure out how to define this phrase because I have been thinking about it a lot over the last few days. I guess my first impression is that an idol that is worshiped is some kind of image made of stone, wood, gold, or beautiful jewels. Yet I have been taught that we can also worship things like money, power, clothes, or anything that is "adored, often blindly or excessively." (thefreedictionary.com) Reading that definition I admit that I have had my share of idol worshiping .
I have been thinking about idol worshiping because of "The Jimmer," a basketball player at Brigham Young University. He is a great player. I like to watch basketball and I wouldn't mind seeing him in person. It seems that "The Jimmer" has quite a following, a very devoted following. However, there is one young lady at BYU who is not too crazy about him and all the "idol worshiping" that he is getting. She says that everywhere she goes she hears his name at least a dozen times. She wrote a letter to the editor of the school's paper expressing her feelings about all the hype and how she wishes everyone would "get a life." Unfortunately, she signed her name to her letter and even got on facebook and expressed the same sentiments.You can just imagine the response she has received. By now she has probably had to change her address and moved to another state far far away.
It doesn't really bother me that this young man is getting the notoriety that he is getting. I really don't care that the "Jimmer Unbeliever" wrote her letter although I do feel sorry for her now that her name is out in the open. What does bother me is some of the comments that have been made by the "Jimmer Believers." Here are some examples:
"You are hereby invited to attend the first church of Jimmer. We worship every Wednesday night and Saturday afternoon."
"Wow, I'm glad I finished reading this thread. Now I can brush my teeth, pray to Jimmer, and go to bed."
"Jimmer is the 11th commandment."
And my least favorite, "One time the BYU basketball team was walking on the beach and they looked back and only saw one set of footprints."
I often wonder how strong my belief is of the Savior. I know now. When I read these statements I felt sick at heart. I don't know if the people who said these things believe in Jesus Christ but since the article came in BYU's newspaper I can only assume they do. How can anyone who is a true Christian make a comparison to the Savior like these statements seem to do. Do they really worship a basketball player like they do the Savior. I hope not. With all my heart I hope not. And even more important I hope "The Jimmer" is man enough to ask his fans to stop. Admire him for his talent. Cheer him on. Talk about him all you want but don't compare him to the Savior. Please don't compare him to the Savior.
Sunday, February 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
That's good for him. They put so much "greatness" into this guy because of his basketball skill but when it comes to what matters more, he doesn't have. He hasn't served a mission from I could see.
I know all the comments were made in jest, but I do agree that some of them were taken too far. It was to tick off the girl who wrote the letter because obviously everyone is so proud of Jimmer and how well he's doing, and for someone to put him down just because BYU students are so excited about his success... it was pretty uncalled for. Before her letter, there were absolutely NO comments like that about Jimmer ever made.
Anyway, I agree with your point. :)
Faye, spoken as only you can do! I agree with you 100%. You go girl!
Post a Comment