Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Why I Want to Blog

Now that I have experimented on how to blog, I will write why I want to blog. First I have to give you a little bit of history.

When I was 16 years old, this wonderful family came to Tennessee from Utah to live for the summer while Ken, the father, attended East Tennessee State University. Some of my greatest friendships were made that summer. The Harris family became a very intricate part of my life. A few years later, I visited Utah and stayed with the Harris family. What was suppose to be a trip of three weeks turned into three years. There is so much that I could say about those very formidable years of my life but suffice it to say, the Harris family became even more important to me. They were my mentors and true examples of a family that fully lived the gospel of Jesus Christ. Their influence has remained with me throughout my life and will continue to do so forever. Couple their influence along with that of my own family growing up and you can see that I have truly been blessed.

Karla is one of the daughters in the Harris family. Even though I was (and still am) a couple of years older, we did just about everything together while I lived in Utah. We had wonderful friends and our "little" group had great times together. Karla and I have mainly stayed in touch through Ken so we have known little about each others families. When Karla sent me a Christmas card this past year which included her Blog address, I began reading it and have been thrilled to learn about her family. I was also touched when she wrote a tribute to her Dad on his birthday. It brought back such wonderful memories. It was then that I thought maybe it would be fun to keep in touch and learn more about our families through a blog. That is reason number one.

Reason number two: I don't know that I have a lot of funny stories or much wisdom to pass along but I do have memories and continue to make memories through every day experiences that I thought might be fun to pass along. One of my favorite quotes by James Barrie says: "God gave us memories that we might have June roses in the December of our lives." I don't think I am quite in the December of my life but I still love reading and thinking about some of the wonderful experiences I have had. I don't necessarily like to think about the not-so-wonderful experiences but I sure have learned from them and don't want to under estimate their value in my life. I just don't dwell on them as much as the good ones.

Reason number three: I have always enjoyed writing and I have found this to be a wonderful way of expressing the things of my heart. So for those who read my Blog, thank you for indulging me.

I may be an old grandma but I still delight in learning about all of you and gaining insight and knowledge into life's little challenges along the way.

Happy memories and Blogging to all of you!

7 comments:

Grammy said...

Oh, Faye! I am just so happy that you are blogging. It truly is a great way to stay in touch. Looks great, and you do have a way with words. Did you know that Janet also has a blog? I'll email you the link. I must let you know that you have had more positive influence on my life than you will ever know. God sent you to our family to be my "sister-friend" at a very volatile time in my life. I will forever be grateful for our special time together!

Unknown said...

I am so happy that you are blogging. BUT, I have to say sarcasticly that I am a little bummed that MY BLOG alone wasn't motivation enough...:)

I can't wait for more posts.

Anonymous said...

Love that your blogging now! You are someone to me that has the ability to "keeping things real". I am looking forward to many future blogs! You Go Girl!

The Dreamer said...

Not sure what went wrong...that anonymous person that left you the comment...that was me! I didn't want you lying in bed tonite trying to figure out who that mystery person is. :)

crashomatic said...

Congratulations Faye!

This is you favorite destined to be wealthiest nephew Jarrett.

I'm excited to keep up with you the other Gold family.

Anonymous said...

hmmm. . .I blog so I don't have to do dishes--just kidding; well mostly kidding--I'm so excited for your blogging posts; being the great example you are to everyone you meet!

Unknown said...

I am Karla's daughter, Katie. This is a cool story. I love my grandparents so much and they are a great example of family values and love.