I had the great privilege to travel with Duane to Harlan, KY today so he could fulfill an assignment with the stake. This is one of my favorite places to go. It is about 100 miles and it takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get there but the trip is well worth it. I love the saints in Harlan. They are so humble and dedicated in taking care of their responsibilities in their little branch. I'm not exaggerating when I say little. There were 12 of us there today. The Branch President and his wife travel 45 minutes each way to get to their building. Some of the saints live closer but most are many miles away yet they are there week after week. I know Sister Gilbert, the Branch Presidents wife, spent hours preparing for Primary knowing there was a great possibility no children would be there. Such was the case today. Yet week after week she and others who have specific responsibilities prepare without murmuring. Their faith is so strong. I can remember hearing our former Stake President say that if you want to see how the church was in it's early days then go to Harlan. They sure struggle but they don't give up. What wonderful examples they are. Following are some pictures we took as we traveled there and back. Some are pretty humorous but for the most part, this is truly one of God's most beautiful creations. I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as we did. (Ali has me very addicted to taking pictures. As we were traveling, we would see something and Duane would say, "Do you want to go back." He was so patient with me today. He was 30 minutes late to his Stake Presidency meeting but we got some fun pictures.
Road to Harlan
Road to Harlan

Flood Wall in Harlan

The Chevrolet Church in Harlan




3 comments:
P.S. The picture of the little black church really does say, "Chevrolet Missionary Baptist Church." We thought that was pretty funny. The downtown area of Harlan has been flooded so badly in the past that they had to build that wall to help keep the town from flooding. It's huge. Ali's new address-you have to say it with a Tennesse accent; "RITE POOR" Valley Road. Faye
Right poor...you got that straight! That capture right there was totally worth being late to a Stake Presidency meeting...It brightened my day!
Great pictures! I remember the little 2-story house we used to meet in when we were there that long summer ago. And that I played the piano for primary!
Post a Comment