Sunday, February 22, 2009

HE'S THE MAN


35 years ago today-actually almost to the minute-this man proposed to me. Well, sort of.

Duane asked me to go with him to an Engineering dinner then to his parents house afterwards to help celebrate his sister's birthday (Julie.) As we were driving down John B. Dennis Highway in Kingsport in his sporty Javelin, I said, "You know, when we get to your parent's house they are going to be expecting us to say something about getting married." He said, "Yes, I know." Then he said, "Will you marry me." And I said, "Yes I will." And then the most romantic thing in the whole wide world happened-every girl's dream. I said, "Let's shake on it." Sooooo, we shook hands. WHAT ELSE COULD WE DO! WE WERE GOING 60 MILES AN HOUR DOWN THE HIGHWAY! I really wanted to live until my wedding day.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited when we got to his parent's house. I kept telling him to say something to his family but I guess he was waiting for the right moment. Finally the anticipated moment arrived. I looked at him, he looked at me then he said, "Faye wants to tell you'll something." Laughter, laughter, laughter. I don't even remember what happened after that. I just knew I was an excited engaged woman and I was marrying a soft-spoken, gentle, patient, hilarious man.
Well, we are 35 years older and looking forward to 35 more years. I'm grateful for that unforgettable proposal and for an eternal companion who still keeps me laughing. Oh, and don't worry. We have made up for the not-so-romantic ride down John B. Dennis Highway. After all, we do have five kids!!!!!

8 comments:

Yo Mama said...

I love this story! It's fun to hear the details of how you became "The Golds." At least you can't be accused of getting down on one knee and saying, "Noah, will you ask me to marry you?" I guess that I can't complain too much because he did ask to marry him after that! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this story! It made me laugh because it is so Duane and Faye...I can see you shaking hands. Shane asked me to marry him and then went and saw his old girl friend who had just came back from her mission! I didn't mind, because I was the one with a diamond on her finger.

Jennie said...

Nice. This makes my engagement story sound so much better! I'll have to let Matt read this one.

sherry said...

I just love you two. You are so good no wonder you have been married almost 35 years.

Amy Niebuhr said...

I didn't think Dad acatually asked the question. That makes it a little bit better. And, way too much information on the 5 kids and being romantic part! I thought this was a family friendly blog!!

LnKay said...

Nice story! And sounds so much like the Duane and Faye we all know and love! Y'all are my inspiration for eternal marriage and forever families! Loves!

Grammy said...

Great story, Faye! I love it! Congrats on your long and happy marriage. I remember meeting Duane for the first time, and finding out that he was from a family of long time friends of my parents. That was really neat.

Janet said...

He is a lucky guy!